Monday, September 12, 2016

Dental implants--or, my oral surgeon was awesome!

Dental implants:  Best idea ever!

The oral surgeon was so kind and competent, not like that sadistic endodontist.

They took X-rays and concluded I was a great candidate for the implant surgery.  Plenty of bone in which to successfully place the posts.

Not a fun process, though.

I went in last October for the posts to be implanted.  Posts are the metal pieces to which the fake teeth will be attached.

The process wasn't fun, involving drilling and putting metal nail-like things into my jaw.  Two of them. One near the front, on the right side; another near the back, on the left side.  I was quite sore for a couple of weeks, and the stitches were... disconcerting.

At least my oral surgeon prescribed appropriate pain meds.  A few days' worth of Vicodin.

Then I had to let my jaw heal for six months.  It was hard to chew at first, with sensitive gums on both sides, but it quickly got better.

My wonderful, compassionate dentist made me a little fake removable tooth to fill the gap near the front of my mouth, sort of like a denture, to use when I needed to make a good impression (like in court or at a meeting at work).  I couldn't eat with it, but I could talk and smile without showing a big gap in my teeth.

In April, I went back to the oral surgeon to have the implants "uncovered"--i.e., he cut through my gums so the posts could be used to attach the new fake teeth.

Then I went to my wonderful, compassionate dentist, who modified the fake tooth denture thingy to fit with the newly uncovered posts and took casts so he could make the two fake teeth.

A few weeks later, I went back to the dentist and had the fake teeth installed.

They are amazing!  Just like real teeth!  I can chew normally again!  I can smile without being self-conscious!

All in all, life is good.

5 comments:

Janie Junebug said...

I'm glad all is well with the teeth. It's so frustrating to need prescription medication and to be denied it because of abusers. My doctor ordered something for me. My pharmacist refused to fill it because he said it would interact with my other medications. The doctor said all medications interact and it was to be used with caution, not denied. He told the pharmacist to fill it. The pharmacist refused. I changed pharmacies. The new pharmacist filled it immediately with no questions. I'm sorry for all you've been through.

Love,
Janie

Scope said...

Glad to hear that you've got something to smile about.

Scope said...

Is this where I'm also supposed to make a "getting implants" joke?

Silliyak said...

When you're "available" you can entice people with "wanna see my implants?"

Jo ~ said...

Glad all got fixed and you're smiling again! :)