Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July Holiday Wishes

Happy Fourth of July, everyone! Does anyone else remember the big bicentennial celebration in 1976? I was 10, and it was awesome. Best fireworks I had ever seen. (Probably helped that we moved to a big city from a smallish college town, but the 200 year thing had a lot to do with it too.)

Remember bicentennial quarters? I used to collect them, in a round cookie tin. I had hundreds of them. Then one day during my freshman year in college, I discovered that I had about a hundred fewer quarters and six or seven "IOU" slips of paper totaling $25.00 in the tin.... Turns out my friend from down the hall had discovered my "stash" of quarters and used them for her laundry now and again... oooh was I angry!

Last night I was talking with my son about why we celebrate the Fourth of July and the meaning of the fireworks that we will go to see. It struck me that he will most likely live to see the tricentennial celebration (he will be 73 in 2076), and I likely will not.

But I will darn sure enjoy our country's 233rd birthday celebration tonight! We're having BBQ beef, potato salad, baked beans, corn on the cob, and for dessert, some awesomely delicious brownie bites that my husband and I made last night, with a small spot of cream cheese & a chocolate chip on the top of each one. They are soooo delicious.

Then we'll head to downtown Tempe to see the fireworks by the Mill Avenue Bridge at Tempe Town Lake.

I love this holiday!

Happy Fourth of July, to all my favorite Independent Bloggers!

(And happy day to all our friends across the pond, too. I'm guessing you guys don't find much to celebrate about American Independence Day, but I'm so glad we're friends anyway, and I hope you have a great day!)
.

2 comments:

Fragrant Liar said...

Happy Independence Day! I remember the bicentennial. I was 20, and it was a HUGE deal, the 200th anniversary. It inspired lots of patriotism from even the most apathetic Americans.

I was raised in Phoenix, and my niece goes to ASU, so just hearing people talk about places like Tempe or the Mill Avenue Bridge makes me nostalgic. Half my family is still over there, and we may as well be there for the 4th, as it's 105 here in Austin, Texas! Crazy.

Have a great 4th, and enjoy that BBQ.

The Grandpa said...

I remember the bicentennial. Worse traffic jam I'd ever been in in Columbus after the fireworks at the Historical Society's Ohio Village. Glad you enjoyed the holiday.