Monday, January 26, 2009

The (Not-So-)Sexy Six Random Things Meme

Skyler’s Dad over at Some Days It’s Not Worth Chewing Through the Leather Straps tagged me for a meme – the "sexy six" meme. I'm not sure where the "sexy" part comes in, since all it seems to ask for is six "random" things about me. Do you think Sandra Bullock is sexy? Because if so, then I'm going to consider that I've satisfied the "sexy" part of the meme, too. Otherwise, I'm just going to pretend it didn't exist.

In any event, I’m happy to play along and post 6 random things about me, in case you are actually interested and didn’t get enough random things with the "Honest Scrap" award and the prior "Six Random Things" meme. But, as I often do, I’m going to skip the part where I’m supposed to tag 6 more folks to play along, since I am never sure whether folks want to be bothered with these meme things or not. On the other hand, I don’t want to stop you from playing if you like, so if you want some blog fodder, consider yourself tagged!

Here are six random things about me:

1. I have a half-inch scar on my right leg from when I was about 8 years old and my class took a field trip to Silver Springs in Florida. I was (ignoring the posted signs and the direct instructions from the chaperones not to climb on things and) walking along the edge of an old row boat that was sitting there, for display purposes only, at the side of one of the paths. I slipped and fell, and a rusty nail pulled a big chunk of my shin flesh off on my way down, leaving a pretty deep hole in my leg. Funny thing was, it didn’t even hurt.... until I looked at it and saw the bloody hole. Then I started screaming. One of those kid-with-open-mouth-and-eyes-pinched-shut-wait-for-it-here-it-comes-wait-wait-wait-it’s-going-to-be-loud kind of screams. I had to miss the glass-bottom boat tour and go to the infirmary instead, where I refused to allow stitches and insisted that a bandage would do, which is why I still have a large scar to remind me of the fun.

2. I love to bake, and I am good at it. My cakes are beautiful *and* delicious. Not like those disasters over at Cake Wrecks.

3. I am a terrible cook.

4. I occasionally teach a class for students who want to improve their scores on the Law School Admissions Test ("LSAT"). My students have told me I look like Sandra Bullock. I find it oddly appropriate (accurate or not) that they would compare me to the star of the 1994 movie "Speed," given my prior job driving a bus and my penchant for driving fast.

5. When I was in law school, I was a student member of the admissions committee for two years. One of those years, the committee selected for admission to the law school a man who had just been released from prison, after serving his sentence for murder. (It was an interesting, and very contentious, committee meeting...)

6. I have studied Spanish, French, Italian, and Japanese. Japanese was the easiest to learn to speak. You pronounce the words just as they are written (based on the sounds represented by the Japanese syllabaries – I never did learn to read / write the "kanji" or word characters), and you can actually follow the grammatical rules. There are only three irregular verbs. I loved it.

.

7 comments:

Angie said...

I am so with you on #2. I prefer making cookies or cupcakes, but cakes (while rare) are always awesome.

I'm with you on #3 as well, but I'm improving. Slowly. :)

SkylersDad said...

Very good Sandra, er, I mean LegalMist! Thanks for playing along and letting us know a few more things about you.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

8 year olds are allowed to determine their own medical treatment? :)

LegalMist said...

Angie -- best wishes in your cooking endeavors. I got lucky and married a gourmet chef, so I've never had to learn. :)

SkylersDad -- thanks for the blog fodder...

Ms. Florida Transplant -- well, under the circumstances, it was probably the right decision for them to make, at least from the avoidance-of-legal-liability standpoint. My parents weren't there and couldn't be reached; and the bleeding did stop, so one could not say stitches were absolutely "necessary" (probably whatever consent form they signed for the field trip -- if there was one -- consented only to "necessary" medical treatment). If the nurse had forced the stitches and my parents had disagreed with that decision, the nurse arguably could have been sued for battery (medical treatment performed without authorization). And realistically, my parents could have taken me in for stitches later that day or the next day, but they chose not to, so there was no possibility of a successful lawsuit for failure to render necessary aid.

Besides, this was in the '70's, when most parents would be more likely to say "I told you not to goof around like that" or "stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" than "oh my, we've got to get stitches so you won't have a scar!!"

Jenners said...

Well, since you doing all this sharing, I must respectfully ask to see a photo of you so I can see how much you look like Sandra Bullock. If you did post one somewhere, where can I find it?? : )

I always love posts like this...and seeing if people look like famous people. My husband says I look like that actress Linda Hunt -- you know the one that won an Oscar for playing a man? Yeah...that one.

Robot Nine said...

Hi Legal Mist, thanks for stopping in at Robot Nine. I'm off to work, just wanted to say hi. Alan

Fancy Schmancy said...

Great post, you are one cool chick!

And, I'll cook for you if you'll bake for me...